Dec 20 2006
The 10 most overused internet words of 2006
In response to Google’s top 10 searches for 2006 here are 10 words & phrases that I’ve read far too many times this year and would prefer to hear less in 2007.
- web 2.0 – the reasons behind this one are obvious, you must be sick of it too?
- longtail – great idea, great book etc but we don’t all have to quote it so much. Time for some new ideas
- meme – this one probably bugs me the most, and not just me
- kool aid – reading the origins of this one on wikipedia make it a lot less entertaining
- google – we really need some decent competition in this industry
- link bait – doesn’t this just mean decent content with a compelling headline?
- dmoz – time to stop using this one all together, it’s time has gone and it’s no longer worthy of the attention
- adsense – I agree, it’s not a business model
- alexa – why do we bother to measure with something that is so hopelessly inaccurate?
- I ran out of ideas here – help me out with which words & phrases you don’t want to hear next year
p.s. Purely for my own entertainment I wanted to see if one site was talking about all these things and I was surprised to find it’s the excellent SEOmoz which is the only result returned.
Well it won’t stop me reading but it will still bug me when I see these terms